Many people go into business, but not everyone manages to stay and at least make a profit. It all depends on many factors, including the idea itself and its demand among people. It also matters who actually undertook the implementation. It is even believed that a person with a certain set of qualities can become an entrepreneur. I would argue with this, but some traits are still common to most successful businessmen. And I will talk about them in this article.
An entrepreneur is…
…a person engaged in commercial activities. Not quite?
An entrepreneur differs from others in that he realizes his idea. At the same time, he has some leadership qualities that allow him to hire people and manage them. He will do everything possible to realize his dream, overcome many difficulties and be ready to move forward.
By the way, a dream or an idea is not always innovative. It can be something familiar, but modified or supplemented with something unique. The main thing is that it is needed by a large number of people. That is why various boring studies and analyzes of audience requests are conducted.
But, unfortunately, not all people can achieve what they want and realize their idea. It is connected not so much with the presence or absence of the necessary traits, as with the occurrence of such significant obstacles that people are unable to influence. It doesn’t happen with anyone, but it’s still not worth going through it. Perhaps it will be possible to turn your dream into a business model. And first, let’s see if you have the necessary qualities.
The community is now in Telegram
Subscribe and stay up to date with the latest IT news
What qualities should he have
Not all entrepreneurs are the same, but they still have some common features. The qualities listed below are especially common, and further on I will talk a little more about the nature of their manifestation.
This is what first of all distinguishes an entrepreneur from an ordinary hired worker. He is not afraid to experiment, takes the initiative and asks: “Why not try?”. Such a person is not looking for a single solution, but tries to find something that others have not guessed before.
You can talk a lot about “fallen, but rise”, and you can simply compare entrepreneurs with stubborn donkeys. They stand their ground, go to the goal and achieve what they want as a result. If you have set a goal, try to slowly but correctly achieve it (albeit in millimeter steps). Think of Thomas Edison with his thousands of attempts to create the incandescent light bulb. That’s why the entrepreneur should be just as persistent in achieving his goal.
The decision to become an entrepreneur is the first responsible step. In this case, a person agrees to take all possible risks, admits the possibility of mistakes and is not afraid to admit them later. You will have to be responsible not only for yourself and your business, but also for the people who will work for you. And let’s not forget about the quality of the services or products provided as a result – there is already a responsibility to consumers. You will still have to answer to the state, partners, employees, etc.
It’s one thing to dream, and another to turn your dreams into reality. This will require a solid amount of determination, courage and even bravery. These features will allow you to overcome the responsibility that will be placed on a person after starting an entrepreneurial activity. Even with a high share of risk, a person with this quality can see the perspective of his idea and make firm decisions in favor of implementation, without being afraid, again, to miss or make a serious mistake.
The ability to predict the possible outcome of events will certainly come in handy for an entrepreneur. Understanding people’s motivations for taking certain actions will help you determine whether your idea is in demand among them as a result. This quality also helps to avoid a number of troubles at the stage of development and implementation.
This quality is closely related to the previous one. An entrepreneur, tracking various events, can note some important details that allow forming the overall picture. The priority is the analysis of people’s behavior, the ability to consider details and possible future trends. And this will become an incentive for the creation of a new line of products or services, and will also help reduce costs.
If something goes wrong, the entrepreneur does not hold his head and looks for alternative solutions. To do this, you need to be able to look at the situation from different angles. You don’t have to do it yourself – you can turn to experts from the outside to assess the situation. It is important not to succumb to difficulties, not to be afraid to change and adapt to new conditions in a short period of time. See the shortcomings as opportunities, and then, perhaps, you will find a unique solution for yourself.
This is not about courage in making decisions, but about the speed of this process and trust in others. For example, if you sign a contract, it is better to read it several times and study the proposed conditions. Regarding trust: sooner or later someone will definitely let you down, unfortunately. Just being careful will allow you to reduce the number of such people in your environment and achieve what you want with minimal losses.
If you have already started a business, you will have to learn well. And who will do it better than boredom? I’m not kidding! In my opinion, bores do a great job at times when maximum concentration and attention to detail is required. Such people will be able to track the smallest changes, notice any negative deviations in time and correct the situation.
Planning is the best tool for achieving the set goal. But, in addition to the plan itself, one must also have an incentive to carry out all the specified actions. Sometimes it is exhausting, like in sports training. But the results will then exceed all expectations – just like in sports training. Even if you have taken up the creative field, remember that there is also a routine. If you want success, just mentally prepare to immerse yourself in not the most pleasant processes.
In this world, connections decide if not everything, then a lot. If you know how to communicate with people, establish and maintain contacts, then at the right moment you will be able to find the right solution through your acquaintances, or attract other specialists through them. You will be able to get something for free, something with minimal expenses. People are also resources, and it is necessary to be able to use them.
What else wouldn’t hurt
In addition to the above, the entrepreneur will have to do the following:
- To stay at work. If you have just started running your business, you will have to work with a 7/0 schedule. It is even likely that the first few years you will spend the night at work and forget about vacation. Such “investments” often pay off, so entrepreneurs are ready in advance to work on their idea almost around the clock and throughout the year.
- Have certain knowledge. If you have at least a rudimentary understanding of the principles of economics and market structure, this will be a huge plus in the implementation of a business idea. First, you will not have to consult with third-party specialists and pay them for it. Secondly, it develops observation and foresight, which were discussed above.
- Be ready to grow and develop. The baggage of knowledge must be constantly replenished. This will give the entrepreneur a better understanding of the client’s expectations and requests, awareness of the principles of market functioning, and generally the formation of a bigger picture in his head.
- Be honest. Running an odd business is too risky. If you do not want your “bench” to be closed in one day, it is better to carry out all processes and transactions honestly.
- Implement original ideas. Ideally, this aspect should have been mentioned at the beginning of this article. That is, your idea must be different from what competitors offer. This is not always the case, and the difference in most products can be negligible. But it shoots because some people are able, to put it mildly, to make fireworks out of nothing just by positioning or advertising. That is why it is controversial, again.
- Be able to be creative. If you can imagine the same banal qualities in a new, profitable light with a different point of view, then you can promote even the most banal thing or idea in the market.
All the listed qualities are only a collective image, a kind of stereotypical picture. And in order to become an entrepreneur, it is not necessary to meet all this. Let a couple of qualities be absent, because the most important thing is the desire to open and persistently run your business. Unless laziness can get in the way, although it sometimes becomes the engine of progress 😉