Mailing in an online store is not just a way to inform customers, but also a means to generate repeat sales and motivate users to take conversion actions. For its work, you will need a corporate mail, a subscriber base, a mailing service and some theoretical knowledge.
How to work with all this and why your online store needs email marketing – we tell you in this article.
How does email marketing help an online store
Email marketing is a powerful tool that, if used correctly, can significantly increase sales. This is possible thanks to the following:
- Repeat sale. When a customer buys a product in an online store, it can be said that he immediately forgets about it. This especially applies to those brands that are not heard of. Newsletters remind subscribers of their existence and encourage them to make new purchases. Such letters may contain a thank you for a purchase or information about new arrivals.
- Retention of old customers. Those who have already visited you spend more on purchases and buy them more often than new customers. In this regard, newsletters are a good assistant that allows you to manage the actions of subscribers.
- Conversion. A well-planned email newsletter increases the percentage of targeted actions. It allows you to tell the client why and why it is worth buying a product or service from you.
- Increasing recognition. Regular e-mails will not let you forget about the brand. The next time a customer wants to buy something, they may think of your store simply because they recently saw your name in their mailbox.
- Saving the budget. Despite the fact that mailing is not a free option for brand promotion, it is still able to reduce costs. With its help, you can reduce the budget for other promotion channels, for example, it will reduce costs for targeted advertising.
And another feature of newsletters is that you can start email retargeting. This is an ad-powered tool. You show users personalized advertising messages based on products or services they have previously viewed. For example, if you sell souvenirs from Moscow, and your subscriber added them to the cart, but for some reason did not buy, he will be shown relevant advertising.
The community is now in Telegram
Subscribe and stay up to date with the latest IT news
How to implement email marketing for an online store: 8 simple steps
To implement email marketing, we will need to collect a customer base, think through the content of the letters, set up sending and make sure the chosen strategy is effective. How to work with all this – we will consider further.
Step 1: Preparation
Before proceeding to the main steps, it is necessary to go through some technical points. This will help you avoid sending emails to the spam folder and guarantee that the mailing will work without complaints.
Creation of corporate mail
If you start sending letters from a simple mail, for example, firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com, all mailings will end up in spam. These e-mails are intended for personal use and are intended to communicate with colleagues and friends.
Corporate mail is used for mass mailings. You can learn more about what it is in the article How to create corporate mail.
SPF, DKIM, DMARC settings
These basic parameters must be configured by anyone who intends to start email marketing. Without them, the letter will not be delivered to the client’s mailbox or will end up in the spam folder.
Configuring SPF, DKIM and DMARC takes place in the control panel of your DNS hosting. If you’ve set up a corporate email on Timeweb, here’s an article on how to do it right.
Warming up the domain
When you first start sending mailings, the postal services are not yet familiar with you, which means that the reputation is zero. And if suddenly a thousand letters are sent from such an address, then this immediately raises suspicions. Are you suddenly a spammer? In this case, emails will be unconditionally blocked or sent to spam.
To increase the reputation, the process of warming up the domain is used – mailing starts not with a mass of letters, but with a small stack. As a rule, these are 300-500 recipients. After that, turnover gradually increases, and the percentage of delivery of mailings increases. In this way, mail clients understand that these are not spam emails. As a result, you get the opportunity to use large mailings without restrictions.
Validation and reactivation of the subscriber base
If you already have a table with user addresses, you need to work with it separately. First, it must be validated – cleaned of non-existent addresses and spam traps. This will minimize bounce rates, increase your reputation, and also allow you to save money: sending letters to non-existent addresses is tantamount to wasting money.
Secondly, reactivation of the base should be carried out, which helps to weed out inactive subscribers and leave only interested ones. You can do it in the following way – send a newsletter to subscribers and invite them to fill out a questionnaire. To encourage them, give a small bonus for this, such as a 5% discount. Add those subscribers who filled out the questionnaire to the new database. Forget about the rest – they are clearly not interested in your newsletter.
Here is one good example of such a newsletter, where subscribers were asked to fill out a questionnaire and in return receive a 20% discount on their next purchase:
Step 2: Gathering a subscriber base
After the preparatory steps, you should start collecting the subscriber base. The main rule is to collect the addresses of only those users who have given their consent. We also recommend not using purchase bases – it will not lead to anything good.
Here are some effective ways to do this:
- create a subscription form on your site – make it as simple as possible, users don’t like a lot of extra fields;
- agree on advertising the site in partner newsletters;
- give the option to subscribe to the newsletter when placing an order;
- if you hold offline events, tell them about your mailings;
- conduct various contests with a mandatory condition – subscription to the newsletter.
To make the user want to subscribe, you can offer them a gift instead.
Here is one of the successful examples, where the online store offers to make a subscription and get this terry towel when making a purchase:
And this is how the popular Lamoda store collects customer email addresses:
It is also important not to overdo it with forms, otherwise the user will want to leave, not buy. Try to place forms on the site only where it is appropriate. You should not fill all pages and add a lot of pop-up windows – this will only annoy users.
Step 3: Registration on the mailing service
Mailing services allow you to quickly send letters and track their effectiveness. In addition, with their help, you can beautifully design a letter, set up auto-mails and forget about a typewriter and designer, because the built-in designers allow you to perform all tasks without the involvement of specialists.
One of such services is Cheapsedner. We provide every new user with a free trial period. It will allow you to use all functions and evaluate the operation of the service without attachments. You can create a unique design in a convenient designer, send up to 100 letters, use the email list validator and do many other useful actions for mailing.
And when the test period ends, sending letters will not be as expensive as on other services. For just 70 rubles, you can send up to 5,000 letters, and a package of 25,000 letters will cost you a cup of good coffee for 350 rubles.
Step 4: Subscriber segmentation
The segmentation method allows you to divide the subscriber base into certain groups. For example, one group is mothers on maternity leave, the other is elderly women. This will help you personalize your mailings and make them most relevant.
There are many criteria for segmentation, here are some of them:
- goods, for example, some buy goods for children, others – for sports;
- gender characteristics;
- frequency and amount of purchases;
- activity level – how often users open mail and read newsletters.
All this data can be obtained through a form or a newsletter. For example, you can send an email with an offer to take a survey. Here is one such example:
Step 5: Structure the letter
For each letter in the mailing list, its structure is important. Users cling to it, and therefore it directly affects the effectiveness of mailing.
Let’s take a look at the key points that will help you structure.
The subject of the letter
It should be interesting and completely (or at least partially) a letter that reveals the essence. The length is recommended to be small – up to 60 characters. At the same time, up to 30 characters are displayed on mobile devices – this is also worth considering.
When you start working on the content of the letter, try to talk about the important things at the very beginning. It is better to put the second information in the middle and at the end. It is also important to remember the call to action – it must be there, otherwise the letter will be useless.
Signature to the letter
The signature is the inscription that will increase your recognizability. In addition, the user will immediately understand who he is dealing with, and this arouses his interest. Try to include the sender’s name and contact information in the signature.
Step 6: Choosing a letter type
At this stage, you should work through all types of letters that are necessary for an online store. This is a welcome, transactional, promotional and informational letter.
We will briefly talk about each one below.
The first thing a user will encounter after subscription is a welcome letter. It is sent when contact details are left to receive newsletters from the store, or when a person registers on the site.
This is what such a letter might look like:
Such letters are configured automatically and are sent to the user in response to any of his actions, for example, registration or placing an order.
For example, it might look like this:
The main purpose of sending such a letter is to stimulate sales. You need to work with such mailing carefully to avoid intrusiveness and aggressive advertising. Otherwise, the user can simply unsubscribe or send the email to spam, which is even worse.
It is clear from the name itself that such a message contains useful information for the user, which may be of interest to him. Letters with such content stimulate user loyalty.
Step 7: Automation
In the previous steps, we went through all the preliminary points before starting the mailing. Now it is worth taking care of its automation – automatic sending of letters. It allows you to quickly react to the following actions performed by users:
- Checkout – This is usually followed by a thank you note and purchase information.
- Subscribe to the newsletter – a welcome letter is sent.
- Subscription to the newsletter without viewing messages – this happens when the user subscribes, but forgets to go to the mail or simply ignores the letters. In such cases, it is necessary to send a reactivation mailing.
You can configure the automation of most letters in the mailing service.
Step 8: Analytics
The last and one of the longest stages is the evaluation of the effectiveness of the implementation of email marketing. The process of creating a newsletter is quite complicated, so it is likely that you will not be able to achieve good results right away.
In order to analyze the actions performed, you can use special tools for this:
- Services for email mailings. At Cheapsender, we provide the ability to track mailing statistics. You can do this in the “My mailings” section.
- Analytics systems. With the help of Yandex Metrics and Google Analytics, you can conduct an analysis that will show the number of unique visitors, the conversion rate and much more.
- Postmasters. These are built-in tools from mail providers, such as Gmail or Yandex. They allow you to track deliverability, openness and other important parameters of email distribution.
We considered the main stages of implementing email marketing for an online store. It is important to remember that this is an effective tool that, with a good approach, can bring a high flow of customers. The main thing is to constantly analyze errors and launch such mailings that will be interesting for your target audience.